Abilities Awareness

Our journey of learning in classroom and community

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Coffeeshop brings back pleasant memories


Step through the door of Wild Bill's Coffeeshop and you're surrounded by
memories of the spirit of Bill Sackter. As you come in, look up and to the right at the big black and white picture. There's Bill in the middle with the cowboy hat. To his left is Mickey Rooney, who played Bill in the two movies, "Bill" and "Bill On His Own." This photo was taken during the filming of "Bill On His Own." At the bottom right in the photo is Barry Morrow, Bill's friend and the screenwriter. On the far left is a young Helen Hunt, who plays a social work student in the movie. One recent visitor was delighted to discover Rooney played Bill. He was a great fan of the actor, but did not know of this film role.

High on the wall in a back corner is a framed poster which reads "God Bless You, Bill." It is covered with signatures -- social work students and staff and other friends of Bill. The poster was created shortly after Bill's death in 1983. The signatures are fading, but on one recent day two visitors were still able to find their names.

On an interior door is a poster reading "War is not healthy for children and other living things." That was the slogan created by Another Mother for Peace, a group founded in 1967 to oppose US military involvement in Vietnam. There were 15 founders, including Iowa native Donna Reed, best-known for the TV show of her name, and Barbara Hammer Avedon, creator of the Cagney and Lacey TV show. One recent visitor warmly recalled receiving a medallion with the "War is not healthy..." slogan from her college boyfriend in the late '60s.

As you leave the coffeeshop, glance at the "Rainman" poster on the left inthe doorway. Barry Morrow also wrote the screenplay for this movie. His
inspiration for the autistic savant in the movie was a young man he met at a conference a number of years ago. Barry had been invited to the conference to talk about Bill. Barry says this chance encounter with the young man is another example of why "I owe all my success to Bill."

6 Comments:

  • At 2:55 PM, April 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This coffee shop sounds like a really neat place. I would like to go and see what it is like in there after reading so much about it and Bill. Its always nice to put a picture to the places that you read about! If I am ever in the area I will be sure to stop by.

     
  • At 12:00 AM, April 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I want to visit the coffeeshop. This place sounds so neat. I also would of enjoyed meeting Bill. I believe that Bill's spirit is living in the coffeeshop. Pam stated that she would also like to visit the coffeeshop. This coffeeshop would be amazing to visit. I think it would be neat to talk to people that knew Bill. I wish I could of met Bill.

     
  • At 12:09 AM, April 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can totally relate to want Johnson said. This book was a great book and it would be neat to put a picture to the places that we read about. If I am ever in the area I will also be sure to visit the coffeeshop, because it would be a great learning experience. I would enjoy talking to the staff and other social work students.

     
  • At 9:28 AM, April 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree with Erica in that the coffeeshop that lives on with Bill's legacy would be an interesting place to visit. I too would have enjoyed meeting Bill, the true "legend".

     
  • At 7:38 PM, April 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tom I have a question for you?
    Did you write the Bill's Coffeeshop Newsletter on April 14, 2006. Are you still writing for them. I am confused. This is very interesing letters. I looked over the newsletters, and they are very well written.

     
  • At 9:10 PM, April 24, 2006, Blogger Tom Gilsenan said…

    Yes, Erica, I still write the Bill's Coffeeshop Newsletter. (You must have found the file of back issues.) I actually left the coffeeshop to come to Aberdeen, but I continue to write the Newsletter.
    The Newsletter began as a way to promote the coffeeshop but now has a much broader focus. There are over 500 subscribers now, some of whom have never been to the coffeeshop.

    There is also a related weblog called Coffee and Community. You can find it at http://coffeeandcommunity,blogspot.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home